Saturday 7 March 2015

Personal Project: Test film

Process



The intensity and pressure to get the film correct is quite difficult and trying out the test shoot for the first time can be a little tense. I found that I felt just as nervous as the model, if not more, because I wanted the process of the film to go perfectly and as precisely as how I had planned it. Setting up for the shoot was quite hands-on as it was important for me to ensure that the lighting was optimum. I have only carried out filming in the evenings when it is dark as I need to make sure that the room is as dark as possible for the projection lighting to be as bright as possible. When projecting my prints up to the brick wall, I had to make sure that the quality was not blurred and also the same for the camera. Unfortunately, the make-up artist I had hired was not able to attend the shoot, so I did the face paint myself using acrylic paint. I felt like this was the best material to use for the model’s face as it kept structure and the colours are quite bold. Throughout the whole process of my filming, I carried out each component independently, making myself the make-up artist, filmmaker, director and editor. When directing the model (called Molly), I performed different movements for her to copy and she repeated them as I filmed her. I found that I worked well with my model as she is also one of my personal friends. Molly was easy to direct and understood the outline of the theme and took direction well.

Music

I selected the music artist Moby because he provides royalty free music and has over 100 songs that I can apply for without it being taken down off YouTube. I chose the song Stella Marys as I liked the slow beat  and the atmospheric feel to the music. I feel it particularly brings out the therapeutic feel to my fashion film. I told my model (Molly) that I would be using this song before we started filming, so she was fully aware what kind of pace to time her movements.

Editing


The editing process of the test shoot took quite a considerable time, about two to three days in total. I constructed my editing similar to my storyboard. Timing is important when editing so when creating the film,  I have to make sure that every second counts. I find it most difficult when editing to search through the film for the most interesting and most suitable sections. However, dedicating this time to editing  aids my thought process and I take great pleasure in identifying the best parts.

No comments:

Post a Comment