Sunday 21 September 2014

Derek Rose Internship: What Did I Learn

It was interesting to find out how the designers at Derek Rose create their textile collections. I was shown the different stages you need to go through to get fabric printed.  I helped check the strike off sheets to make sure that all of the information is correct. The designers will get small strike offs made of the prints before they get all of the fabric printed so that they can check it looks correct. I then learnt about the different printing techniques used. 

At Derek Rose, they use screen and digital printing. If the design is a geometric for example and has lots of colours, they might use digital printing because it needs to be lined up perfectly.  Also, screens are expensive and you have to have a screen for every colour you use. I learnt that red and navy are hard to print together because the colours mix. Also, silk makes colours and prints look really vibrant and rich.



I am really inspired by the use of colour at Derek Rose and how they consider what will look luxurious and also be commercial.   

No comments:

Post a Comment