Friday 10 July 2015

Lucy Madeline Watson

I came across Lucy Madeline Watson’s work on the second floor of the degree show, she is a student that studies Animation and illustration. I choose not to write a review on another print designer because I was drawn and inspired by Watson’s imagery and motion picture. Watson had displayed canvases of imagery of water that she filmed at a local aquarium called Liquid Indigo and a moving image piece called Cube Projection Mapping based on the poem 'Aquatic Nocturne' by Sylvia Plath This piece was inspired by the line: Deep in liquid indigo. I was drawn to the mood and motion of her work. Her film was complex and well thought out and identified as moving shapes that I found therapeutic and interesting.


Along with my print designs I make fashion films as an advertisement of my print designs constructed in a creative way, I could see a correlation of her theme of work to how I work with my films. I enjoyed the complexity of her creative motion film, I found her work to be exciting as a moving design that morphs into different colours. Her film and her canvas pieces had a mood that gave off a therapeutic approach. In my film work I wish to make my viewers feel something while they are watching the film. While watching her film it dazzled me with the different movements[AP1]  and colours and she has truly developed an exciting piece.

Watson has taken a simple context such as water and made it complex. Her editing skills are advanced with motion picture editing and I feel that she has outstanding work by making her motion picture look like a final finished print design that entails movement. I found her calming blue colours in her canvas work were presented well and her mirroring work to be intelligent and precise.
From the Degree show this piece of work stuck with me the most and I wish to create a film that will stick with people and I want them to be visually moved by my fashion films. I feel that Lucy Madeline Watson’s work has inspired me to create a complex film that entails moving designs. I found it interesting how she displayed her film as a 3D cube and that she thought outside of the box, to display her work. I want to create the same approach in my film work.




No comments:

Post a Comment